Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Things My Grandma Taught Me.

My Grandma

My grandma, Marjorie died on Sunday at the age of 91.  She suffered for many years with the effects of Alzheimers and it slowly robbed all of us of grandma's personality and vivaciousness.

I take great comfort in knowing that she is now dancing in the arms of Jesus and rejoicing that she is free.

The funeral was today and we celebrated the life of a ordinary farm wife, who was an amazing matriarch.  I have so many special memories of spending time on the farm with my grandparents.

I wanted to share some of the things my grandma taught me and for which I am forever grateful.

The things my grandma taught me.
1.  The love between a grandparent and a grandchild is precious and important.
2.  Your vitamins should be taken every day to improve your health.  I still take them.
3.  Drink tea.  I have a cup everyday.  My first cup was in her kitchen at the table.
4.  My grandma taught me how to Crochet.  I'm the only grandchild who learned.
5.  Read the Bible.  My grandma read the Bible every day.
6.  Memorize important Bible verses and drink from the cup of life.  I learned so many Bible verses growing up and can still recite them.
7.  Grow a garden.  I loved watching her garden grow and helping plant and harvest.
8.  Love everyone for who they are, not who you want them to be.
9.  The Piano.  I learned to play my first songs on her piano.
10.  Sing, smile, be patient, pray, love, laugh, hug and be happy.

I made this funeral spray to remember and honor my grandmother.  My sister and I picked out the wicker cornucopia and each of our kids picked out a flower to go in it and some to represent my husband and brother as well.  My sister and I then thought of things that reminded us of grandma.  I picked 5 switches off the trees in my backyard and added bible verses at the top.  My grandma was a firm believer in discipline if you know what I mean.  There are three granny squares attached to represent me and my two siblings, a ball of yarn, a soup label, a rocking chair, dominoes, checkers, tea bag, a picture of my grandma's beautiful face and more.  It was great fun to create this for her and show the entire family how special she was to us.


I love you Grandma!  Thanks for enriching my life!!