Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Once Upon a Read-a-Thon Update and Mini-challenge

Once Upon a Read-a-Thon Update and Mini-challenge

Today is day two of the Once Upon a Read-a-Thon.  It will be a busy day for me so I probably won't get much reading done but I will read when I can.

Yesterday I finished The Year of the Gadfly by Jennifer Miller.  I read about 320 pages total yesterday and stayed up late to finish the book and it was well worth it.  Excellent book and good writing.  I really liked it.

Today I plan to read about 85-90 pages in The White Queen by Phillippa Gregory for a read-a-long I'm participating in.  If I finish this I will probably start a new book.  Hmmm, I keep debating about what book I should start as I have so many good books to choose from.

Georgia:  She read about 40 pages in The One and Only Ivan and together we read one chapter in Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Max:  Read How to Build a Time Machine by Hazel Richardson.  He read for an hour and is almost finished with the book.


Mini-Challenge
This mini-challenge is brought to you by Better Read than Dead blog.


You're in a bookstore and you've just purchased 5 books you've been dying to read, when the apocalypse hits. (Zombie, Demons, Vampires, Dean Winchester vs. Sam Winchester (yes, I'm watching Supernatural reruns) I don't care what apocalypse). You've got one chance at survival, what 2 books do you take and what 3 other items do you take?

*This is a tough question.  If I can only take two books with me, I would choose two very long books.  One that I have already read and one I haven't.  So the first book I would choose is Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell because it is my favorite book and it should be saved for humanity.  The second book I would take with me is probably a classic that I have been wanting to read but have put off year after year.  I would make a mad dash for Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes.  Another book that must be saved for humanity.

Other 3 items I would take from the bookstore;  chocolate, bookmarks and a notebook to write about the apocalypse.