Sunday, September 1, 2013

September Author in the Spotlight

September Author in the Spotlight

Happy September!!  My favorite season is summer because I don't have to work but I also love Fall.  I love the back to school season, the crisp air, the smell of fallen leaves and the colors of the season.  My kids start school on Tuesday and are entering the 7th and 9th grades.  Both are starting new schools and as a parent I am charting new territory and am hoping the kids and I (me especially) can make it through the teenage years.

This month's Author in the Spotlight is Julie Schumacher.  She is the director of the creative writing program at the University of Minnesota.  She has written several books for teens and her latest, The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable Girls promises to be amazing.  I can't wait to read it.

Here is the synopsis from Goodreads:

I'm Adrienne Haus, survivor of a mother-daughter book club. Most of us didn't want to join. My mother signed me up because I was stuck at home all summer, with my knee in a brace. CeeCee's parents forced her to join after cancelling her Paris trip because she bashed up their car. The members of "The Unbearable Book Club," CeeCee, Jill, Wallis, and I, were all going into eleventh grade A.P. English. But we weren't friends. We were literary prisoners, sweating, reading classics, and hanging out at the pool. If you want to find out how membership in a book club can end up with a person being dead, you can probably look us up under mother-daughter literary catastrophe. Or open this book and read my essay, which I'll turn in when I go back to school.

Julie has written six novels for adults and teens and I will try to read more of her books this month, if at all possible.  Julie has written Black Box, The Book of One Hundred Truths, The Chain Letter, Grass Angel and The Body is Water. This month you can expect; a book review, a contest, and an author interview.  Check out Julie's website and all her books at http://www.julieschumacher.com/

Have a great month and Happy Reading!