Monday, July 28, 2014

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

Once upon a time there was a story about four teens who meet every summer on their grandfather's private island to run wild and free.  Three are cousins and one is not.  Three are white and one is not.  A relationship develops.  Grandfather does not approve.  They are called The Liars.

Once upon a time, Cadence is the heir to a wealthy family.  She has an image to uphold.  She must not let anything bother her.  She must be strong.  She must stand up for her mother.  She must agree to things she doesn't believe in.  She is tired of her family fighting over money.  She is tired and gets migraines.  She takes pills.  She can't remember how she hit her head.  She wonders why no one tells the truth.

Page turning, mysterious, multi-layered, fascinating, powerful, creative. Couldn't tear my eyes away for long and before I knew the book was done and I was in OMG land.  This is a gothic tale that is reminiscent of Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.  We Were Liars is atmospheric and is a great read for summer.

I swear, I am telling the truth for I cannot tell a lie.