Sunday, April 5, 2015

Poem in my Post- Edna St. Vincent Millay


Poem in my Post

April is National Poetry month.  Most people don't read poetry and are missing out on some amazing works of literary value.  I try to read a poem a day and my life is richer by far because of it.  Every Sunday on my blog in April, I post a poem and highlight a poet.  Sometimes the poems or poets are well known and sometimes they are not.  Each poem I pick holds meaning for me.

The Spring and the Fall by Edna St. Vincent Millay

In the spring of the year, in the spring of the year,
I walked the road beside my dear.
The trees were black where the bark was wet.
I see them yet, in the spring of the year.
He broke me a bough of the blossoming peach
That was out of the way and hard to reach.

In the fall of the year, in the fall of the year,
I walked the road beside my dear.
The rooks went up with a raucous trill.
I hear them still, in the fall of the year.
He laughed at all I dared to praise,
And broke my heart, in little ways.

Year be springing or year be falling,
The bark will drip and the birds be calling.
There's much that's fine to see and hear
In the spring of a year, in the fall of a year.
'Tis not love's going hurt my days.
But that it went in little ways.

Edna St. Vincent Millay
1892-1950
Lived in New York City.  I visited her unique home in NYC and took a picture outside.  It's the center brownstone and it is about 7 ft wide.  I also visited The Cathedral of St. John the Devine and they have a poet's corner and within that corner on the floor, I found Edna right next to Henry David Thoreau and Herman Melville.

Enjoy!