Thursday, June 4, 2015

Time for Summer Reading-What to Read Next

Time for Summer Reading and What to Read Next

The Last day of school is tomorrow and then I have to work on Monday to finish grades, clean my classroom and interview for a new Social Studies teacher. Then it is time for summer reading.  OMG, I cannot wait.

On May 9th, I presented a list of what to read next at the YA Lit conference in Minnesota.  I wasn't sure what to expect but there were over 100 people there for my 45 minute session.  I wanted to post my list right away on BooksSnob but I have been busy with the end of the school year and a trip to Berlin.  So now I am going to publish my list of what to read next.  Finally.

The first book I talked about was How It Went Down by Kekla Magoon.  This is the best YA book I have read so far this year and I believe it will make my top ten reads of 2015.  So good.

I haven't read all the books on this list but many I have.  The ones I haven't read are getting rave reviews.



Here is a list of all the titles I handed out after my book talk session that is contained in the Google slide presentation.

2014 - 2015 Young Adult Titles (some adult titles thrown in)

*How it Went Down by Kekla Magoon
X. A Novel by Ilyasah Shabazz and Kekla Magoon
*Eden West by Pete Hautman
*The Inventor’s Secret by Andrea Cremer
*Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult
*The Tusk That Did the Damage by Tamia James
Ms. Marvel, No Normal by Alphona Wilson
Lumberjanes Vol 1 by Noelle Stephenson and Grace Ellis
Under a Painted Sky by Stacey Lee
Mosquitoland. A Novel by David Arnold
Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
None of the Above by I.W. Gregario
The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski
The Alex Crow by Andrew Smith
Read Between the Lines by Jo Knowles
Love is the Drug by Alaya Dawn Johnson
Ghettoside. A True story of Murder in America by Jill Leovy
I will Always Write Back.  How One Letter Changed Two Lives by Caitlin Alifirenka & Martin
Ganda
*The Martian by Andy Weir
*The 5Th Wave by Rick Yancey
The Last Leaving Falling by Sarah Benwell
Ink and Ashes by Valynne E. Maetani
Audacity by Melanie Crowder
The Game of Love and Death by Martha Brockenbrough
Written in the Stars by Aisha Saeed
The Walls Around Us by Nova Ren Suma
Hold Tight, Don’t Let go. A novel of Haiti by Laura Rose Wagner
We All Looked Up by Tommy Wallach

*Books I have read and recommend.

Which books have you read?
What books do you recommend for summer reading?