Monday, September 5, 2016

Announcing September Author in the Spotlight!

Announcing September Author in the Spotlight!

Happy Labor Day!  Hello to Fall and school days and goodbye to the lazy days of summer.  I'll miss you summer.  I read 10 books over the summer, the biggest one being Don Quixote which I started on the first of June and finished Aug 31st.  My other favorite of the summer was the Neither Wolf nor Dog series by Kent Nerburn.

My kids start school tomorrow and are in 10th and 12th grade this year.  I think we are ready, with new supplies and clothes and hopeful attitudes.  I started teaching last week and have been back to crazy busy so my reading and writing has sadly slowed down.  I submitted my poems to four literary mags this month. I'm trying harder to get to my poems published.

Let me introduce you to the September Minnesota Author in the Spotlight.  Her name is Hope Jahren and she is a scientist who teaches and lives in Hawii right now but she grew up in Minnesota.  I can't wait to read her memoir called Lab Girl. So excited to feature her on my book blog.

Here is the synopsis from Goodreads:  Lab Girl by Hope Jahren

Acclaimed scientist Hope Jahren has built three laboratories in which she’s studied trees, flowers, seeds, and soil. Her first book is a revelatory treatise on plant life—but it is also so much more.

Lab Girl is a book about work, love, and the mountains that can be moved when those two things come together. It is told through Jahren’s stories: about her childhood in rural Minnesota with an uncompromising mother and a father who encouraged hours of play in his classroom’s labs; about how she found a sanctuary in science, and learned to perform lab work done “with both the heart and the hands”; and about the inevitable disappointments, but also the triumphs and exhilarating discoveries, of scientific work.

Yet at the core of this book is the story of a relationship Jahren forged with a brilliant, wounded man named Bill, who becomes her lab partner and best friend. Their sometimes rogue adventures in science take them from the Midwest across the United States and back again, over the Atlantic to the ever-light skies of the North Pole and to tropical Hawaii, where she and her lab currently make their home.

This month there will be a giveaway and a book review.  Unfortunately, Hope is really busy this month and cannot do an interview or a guest post.  You can visit Hope on her blog https://hopejahrensurecanwrite.com

Happy Reading Everyone!!